- Pain or itching on your vagina or vulva.
- Reddening of your vulva.
- Pain, when you urinate.
- Pain when you indulge in sexual intercourse.
- Greenish, yellow, frothy, foul-smelling vaginal discharge.
- Trichomoniasis – a sexually transmitted organism.
- Thin, white discharge with stinky smell.
- White or gray, fishy-smelling vaginal discharge which indicates bacterial vaginosis.
The first and most important step in treating acute or chronic infectious vaginitis is your doctor should know the type of infection you have and choosing a right treatment by your doctor or yourself. If you have a chronic infection that never completely goes away and you can have infections three times a year. You should immediately seek doctor’s help if you are pregnant. If vaginitis is not treated properly it may lead to infertility.
Conventional doctors try to solve the problem by killing bad organism with drugs, which is must if the infection is severe and chronic. These remedies help the good flora return to the vagina, restore the normal pH or chemical balance of the tissues and decrease inflammation and irritation as well as kill off the infecting organisms. Correct treatment depends on knowing which organism is causing you problem, usually due to the following reasons:
- The fungal yeast candida albicans.
- Trichomonas vaginalis.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates and alcohol, both of which turn into glucose in the body.
- The most important food for healing vaginitis is yogurt. A woman suffering from vaginitis, candidiasis or Trichomoniasis should eat daily about 100gm unsweetened yogurt with lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria and take three capsules of a supplement of the bacterium between the meals. Generally doctor advises that a women suffering from vaginitis should use the capsule of lactobacillus acidophilus as vaginal suppositories by inserting one capsule into the vagina everyday in the morning in consultation with the doctor.
- Garlic is a strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal infection fighter suitable for both vaginitis and candidiasis. The patient should take one garlic capsule once or twice daily till the condition cures.
- The chemical berberine in goldenseal fights off bacteria and candida in the mucous membranes of the vagina, which also strengthens the immune system.
- Use of boric acid suppositories for the treatment of candida infection has surprising success rate. If you have been diagnosed with an acute yeast infection, insert a 600mg capsule of boric acid powder into your vagina twice a day, in the morning and evening for a week. To prevent a recurrence, insert one capsule daily at bedtime for four times a week during your menstrual period to continue for at least three months. The suppository can cause burning in tissue that is already irritated by an infection. You can prevent burning sensation by coating the irritated tissues with vitamin E oil before inserting the suppository. Avoid using it if you are pregnant. Also do not forget to consult a doctor before this treatment.
- Using a gelatin capsule of vitamin E as suppository is very soothing to vaginal tissue, decreasing irritation, redness, swelling and congestion. Insert a capsule once or twice daily for a week.
- Triphala – An herb that helps removing toxins from the body and restores a normal flow of body fluids. Both are important in treating a yeast infection. Soak ½ teaspoon of dried herb in 1 cup of hot water for five minutes, then drink the tea before sleep. If you don’t like the taste, you can take 500mg tablets or capsules before going to bed. Put a tablespoon of Triphala in about ½ litre water and bring it to boil. Remove from the heat, let cool to lukewarm and strain. Use as a regular douche. The longer you keep the Triphala in contact with the vaginal mucosa, the better it is. You must consult your doctor as douching can dry the vagina and upset its natural balance.