Not only do dry, chapped lips look red and flaky, they can also be extremely painful, and can bleed, leading to ugly scabbing. So what can you do to help your chapped lips recover and keep your smile beautiful?
- As difficult as it may be, try to avoid licking your lips. Although it may provide temporary relief, it will actually aggravate the condition.
Stay hydrated. You should aim to drink about eight glasses of water a day for soft, supple lips and skin. You will need more if you are being active, or the weather is particularly warm.
- Soak a soft cloth in cool salt water and apply it gently on your lips.
- Use a lip balm containing SPF 15 or higher. Sun exposure is very harsh on your lips as the skin is very delicate.
Lip products containing cocoa, butter or bees wax are very good moisturizers. Try to smooth one on morning and night to act as a shield to help your lips retain their moisture.
- Carry a little bottle of castor oil with you and rub it into the skin on your lips frequently throughout the day.
- Check your diet is nutritionally balanced, and that you are getting sufficient vitamins, particularly A, B-complex, and E.
- Crack open a vitamin E capsule, and massage the oil inside on your lips. Vitamin E is one of the most important element for good skin health.
If you have really dry flaky skin, you may need to give your lips some more intensive treatment. Apply some unsalted margarine to a toothbrush, the margarine should be at room temperature or just slightly cooler. Lightly brush your lips with tooth brush, not so rough that it can be painful, just enough to loosen the dead skin. Afterwards, get a warm, damp cloth and use it to gently wipe away the margarine, which will take the dead skin cells with it, revealing the soft new skin underneath. Hold the warm, soft, clean cloth against your lips for twenty to thirty seconds to prevent them drying out too quickly. Then, apply a good moisturizer, or even a little unsalted margarine in place of moisturizer. Massage in your chosen product well. You may find you want to do this step a couple of times each day for it to be fully effective. It is also a good maintenance tip to use once a week or so.