Carpal tunnel syndrome – Symptoms and Cure
Wrist bones and ligaments are known as carpus which forms a pathway known as carpal tunnel. This tunnel basically consists of the median nerve which controls the movements of hands and the tendons which connect both the arm and hand muscles together. Any disorders in this tunnel will lead to this syndrome. Tunnel may get narrowed due to the swelling of the tendons, bone dislocation or due to bone spurs. This may lead to compression of the median nerve causing relative pain, numbness and weakness which are associated with the carpal tunnel syndrome. Symptoms of this disorder generally occur during the night mostly and are painful and last for 3-4 days and get disappeared without any medical treatment. In certain peculiar cases the symptoms may persist for a long duration and require medical attention.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome is a stress injury caused due to continuous movements of the hands and fingers.
- These further cause inflammations of the tendons leading to compression of the median nerve.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome can be caused due to hormonal imbalance during pregnancy, intake of birth control pills and also during menopause.
- Other diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, Raynaud’s disease, trauma etc., to the wrist can cause this disorder.
- This occurs three times more often in women compared to the men especially in case of obese women (25-65 yrs).
- Pains in the wrist.
- Swelling sensation.
- Vitamin B6 – 50mg 3 times a day until the symptoms get cleared. It is toxic to take 200mg daily for a long time.
- Bromelain – 1000mg 2 times a day between meals when pain is acute. Dosage must be reduced to 500mg when symptoms get cleared slowly. Bromelain is found in pineapples.
- Turmeric – 400mg 3 times a day. It can be consumed as tea by mixing ½ tsp of turmeric powder in hot water.
- Enough rest is necessary for the working fingers and hands.
- It is advised to shake and flex the fingers in between works.
- When pain arises, apply ice to that area for 10 minutes every hour to ease the pain.
- When lying down place the pillow and elevate your wrists.
HAVE YOU HEARD?
There must be equal proportions of vitamin C and B6 in our body. Various researches have found that people who take vitamin C supplements daily and are deficient of vitamin B6 in the body are more prone to get carpal tunnel syndrome compared to those who were deficient of vitamin B6 but do not take vitamin C supplements.