Bronchitis is found more in people who smoke regularly. This is a condition where inflammations occur in the wind pipe and the bronchioles that are responsible for the transport of air to and from the lungs, thus certainly resulting in the blocking of air. Due to this the mucus secretion increases resulting in cough. The wind pipe swells up and thickens paralyzing the cilia which are responsible for sweeping away the dust and germs in the air. Bronchitis is mainly of two types namely acute and chronic conditions. Acute state is marked by slight fever and cough for few days and goes off in few weeks time whereas chronic condition is the one where cough along with phlegm persist for few months and may disappear and recur.
- Acute bronchitis generally follows a cold or flu.
- Acute state may also be due to any form of bacterial infection or even exposure to certain chemical fumes.
- If the lung irritation prolongs for a long time it results in chronic bronchitis.
- The main cause for chronic condition is cigarette smoking or even people who are often exposed to cigarette smoke seem to be affected by chronic bronchitis.
- Fever at 38degrees or higher.
- Cough with discoloured phlegm.
- Coarse breath sounds which is called rhonchi.
- Pain in chest muscles.
- Persistent cough with discoloured phlegm for few months.
- Coughing during exertion.
- Vitamin C / Flavonoids – 1000mg vitamin C and 500mg flavonoids 3 times a day. If diarrhoea develops reduce the vitamin dosage.
- Vitamin A – 25 000 IU a day for a month with food. It is advisable to take it with 30mg zinc per day. If pregnant or considering pregnancy don’t exceed 2500 IU a day.
- Horehound – 3 cups a day as tea. Use 1 or 2 tsp per cup of hot water.
- Fenugreek – 5g ground herb for acute bronchitis and 2g for chronic bronchitis 3 times a day between meals.
- Echinacea – 200mg 4 times a day for acute bronchitis and 2 times a day for chronic bronchitis. It must be standardised to contain 3.5% echinacosides.
- Astragalus – 200mg 4 times a day for acute bronchitis and twice a day for chronic bronchitis. It must supply 0.5% glucosides and 70% polysaccharides.
- Quit smoking.
- Stay indoors if you have chronic bronchitis.
- Do not use aerosol products like hair spray, perfumes etc.,
- Drink plenty of water.
HAVE YOU HEARD?
Bacterial infections cause only 10% of bronchitis so it is advised not to take antibiotics for this condition as it may lead to reduce in the body’s good bacteria level.