Dong Quai for Menopausal and Menstrual Problems
Dong quai is mainly used in Asian countries, especially Japan and China. This medicinal herb is found in many women supplements due to its ability in boosting the function of female reproductive system. Dong quai has lots of health benefits and in this article we are going to see how Dong quai is beneficial for women in treating menopausal and menstrual related problems.
Donq quai Benefits
- It helps to ease monthly menstrual cramps.
- Balances the menstrual cycle.
- The herb is effective in reducing the menopausal hot flashes (or hot flushes).
- Controls abnormal bleeding.
- Lowers down the symptoms of PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)
- Can also improve vaginal dryness related to menopause.
Some ayurvedic and herbal specialists say that dong quai is beneficial because of the plant-oestrogens (or phyto-oestrgogens) present in it. Though phyto-oestrogens are weaker ones compared to the normal oestrogens present in the women’s body, yet they bind with the normal oestrogen receptors and prevent menstrual problems. They actually prevent hot flushes by compensating for the decline in oestrogen levels after menopause. By this activity phyto-oestrogens can also reduce the risk of breast cancer in women.
Dong quai is a rich source of coumarin and herbal experts say that this coumarin is responsible for dong quai’s ability to ease menstrual cramps.
How to take Dong quai for Menstrual Problems
(For PMS, Menstrual Irregularities, Menstrual Cramps and Hot flushes)
- You can take Dong quai either in pill or tincture form. If you’re going for pill form then you have to take 600mg of dong quai every day. If tincture form then you have to take 1.5ml or 30 drops thrice a day. In whatever form you take make sure that it is standardized to contain 0.8-1.1% ligustilide.
- If you’re mainly using dong quai to regulate menstrual cycle then you can also add other herbs such as chaste tree, licorice and Siberian ginseng.
- If you’re taking mainly for lowering PMS symptoms then take dong quai during the days when you are not menstruating.
- If you’re taking to prevent menstrual cramps then start taking the day before your period is due.
- In case of hot flushes you can take dong quai every day.
Generally in Asian countries dong quai is taken along with chaste tree and other medicinal herbs. In some people excess dosage of dong quai may cause heavy menstrual bleeding. Pregnant or breast feeding women should avoid dong quai. If you’re taking any anti-coagulant drug then consult your doctor before using dong quai.