In India, from whence it hails, Chiretta(Andrographis paniculata) is used to counter infection, promote good digestion and liver processes. Chiretta tastes very bitter. In both Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine, Chiretta is very valuable. It is used to treat worms, malaria, leprosy, fever, dysentery, and more.
Chiretta - Andrographis paniculata
- It helps with digestive and liver problems
- It protects the liver
- It boosts the immune system
- It is an anti-inflammatory
Chiretta Health Benefits
This bitter tonic is quite therapeutic. For this reason, it is becoming more popular in the western world.
- Chiretta is very helpful in improving digestion.
- It can stimulate the immune system and help the body fight off infections. This is particularly true of viruses.
- It can help the liver to gain strength and protect itself from toxic damage and infection. In the past, this herb has been used primarily for liver problems; however, it also enhances the immune system. For this reason, it is a primary remedy when fighting flu, colds, and influenza.
- There have been a number of valid studies which indicate that chiretta is helpful in dealing with throat infection, colds and flu, and sinusitis. It relieves symptoms and speeds the rate of recovery.
- It is beneficial for gastrointestinal troubles, including food poisoning, gastroenteritis, and diarrhea.
- There have been studies indicating that chiretta is a good paracetamol to relieve flu and fever. It must be taken in a consistent manner for several days to yield good results.
- Patients with liver disorders should seek their health care professionals’ advice before taking chiretta, and it can be taken in conjunction with other herbs for liver conditions, such as milk thistle (Silybum marianum).
- Chiretta may be helpful in preventing cancer. Research is underway.
Points to Remember
- Chiretta is tablet, capsule and tincture form.
- The recommended dosage level for adults is 3 – 7g per day. On weekly basis the maximum dosage limit is 50g. In tincture form the commonly prescribed dosage per day is 3 to 5 ml.
- Andrographis extract is available as tablets. Take 1020mg tablet per day.
- Chiretta is mostly used in combination with Echinacea.
- Though chiretta helps in digestion excess dosage may cause digestive discomfort.
- Pregnant women and breast feeding mothers should avoid using this herb.