Generally spider bites create some kind of uneasiness but mostly they are harmless. But this is not true for all types of spiders. Though there are about 40,000 species of spiders only a small number of them are infectious. Infectious spiders such as Widow spiders, Australian venomous funnel-web spiders, Brown Reclusive and Brazilian wandering spiders may cause serious illness and so it is suggested to go for medical treatment immediately in case of bites by such infectious spiders. Let us now see how to treat spider bites.
The tips I am providing is mainly focuses on treating infectious spider bites.
1. Try to identify the spider if possible. If the spider is of highly infectious type then anti-venom and intensive treatment may be required. But first make sure that it’s a spider bite and then start proceeding with the treatment. If swelling and redness appears in the affected area then it’s mostly a spider bite.
2. Thoroughly wash the affected area by hot water and soap. Whether it’s harmful or not, first completely wash the infected area. Wash the skin few times thoroughly.
3. Take few ice cubes wrap it in a towel and place it over the affected area. Don’t place the ice directly over the skin. Have a box of ice cubes till you reach the hospital.
4. The common spider bite symptoms are Fever, Chills, Nausea/vomiting and Severe pain in the abdominal area. If the affected person experience any of these symptoms then seek medical attention immediately. Allergic reactions are also a symptom of infectious bites.
5. Put a tight bandage above the bite area. Don’t put the bandage so tight as it may stop the flow of blood completely. You should only restrict the venom flow and don’t stop the blood flow entirely. You can put bandage in legs and arms and for other areas ice pack can be used till you get medical facility.
6. Take painkillers such as acetaminophen. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to control swelling and pain. Antihistamines are effective in stopping the itching sensation and swelling. Till you go to doctor restrict eating and drinking.
7. Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply the paste over the affected area. It gives quick relief from itching sensation.
All these tips can be used for time being till you see the doctor. If the bite is not infectious then these tips will completely cure it.
Healthmango.com is a complete health and fitness blog run by Nsmukundan. Nsmukundan is a professional blogger from India. Healthmango.com covers a wide range of health topics. You can read more about Healthmango.com in the About page.