Tonsillitis – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
- Tonsils that are responsible for filtering germs from the throat before they cause infection to the throat get infected, thus leading to tonsillitis.
- It is mainly caused due to viruses and a special type of bacteria called Streptococcus bacteria.
- Inflammations are caused due to infection.
- Tonsillitis is very common in children.
- Recurrent tonsillitis may lead to various complications like breathing difficulty, middle ear infections and other infections.
- In this case of recurrent tonsillitis, to remove the tonsils surgery is recommended.
- Sore throats.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- Increase in temperatures.
- Bad breath.
- Swollen glands in neck.
- Tonsils may be red, swollen, covered with white specks or a yellow or white coloured coating.
- Lymph nodes in neck may become swollen and become painful when touched.
- Personal hygiene is very important, thus wash hands regularly.
- Avoid contact with the people who have upper respiratory infections.
- Treating tonsillitis is based on the causes.
- If it is caused due to virus, then it is necessary to relieve the symptoms till the infection clears of its own.
- If it is caused due to Streptococcus bacteria then antibiotics are used to cure the inflammation.
- Antibiotics are needed to cure the infection caused due to bacteria and their complications.
- To ease pain and reduce fever, various non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be used.
- To relieve throat pain, throat lozenges can be used.
- To soothe the pain caused due to tonsillitis, mixture of garlic, salt and either hot or cold water can be consumed.
- Consuming soft foods will help in avoiding throat irritation and also aggravating the symptoms.
- Various homeopathic tablets that are made from different constituents like American poke weed (Phytolacca Americana), lignum vitae (Guajaum officinale) and paprika (Capsicum annum) help in relieving the tonsillitis symptoms.
- Recurring tonsillitis is cured only with the help of surgical removal of the tonsils; the technique is shortly termed as tonsillectomy.
- Tonsillectomy is also performed when tonsillitis causes other complications like breathing difficulty, difficulty in swallowing, recurrent middle ear infections and abscesses on the tonsils.
- It is necessary to know that the surgery reduces the number of throat infections and does not totally eliminate it.
- Tonsillitis mainly affects children between ages 5 to 10 and in people who are exposed to Streptococcus bacteria and in people who have recurring upper respiratory infections.
- A doctor diagnoses tonsillitis based upon the symptoms and the occurrence of tonsils.
- Tonsillitis whether it is caused by Streptococcus bacteria or another bacterium can be determined by having a clear examination of a culture of cells from tonsils.