Cough is one of the common medical ailments that affect all the people and they seek the help of medical practitioners regularly. As we know prevention is better than cure, there are various natural treatments for totally preventing the occurrence of cough(You can also read the article Cure Cough and Cold by Ayurveda to know more).
- The main cause for cough is when an irritant enters the respiratory passage.
- The external irritants cause the cough receptors to get excited and cause a sequence where the air and foreign materials are expelled.
- Viruses or bacteria which are responsible for causing flu cause excess secretion of mucus thus causing cough especially during the night disturbing sleep.
- Hay fever.
- Cigarette smoke.
- Perfumes and environmental pollutants.
- Cough can also be initiated as a result of side effects caused due to certain medications, especially the medicines that are used in treating high blood pressure.
- Various uncommon causes are tumours in the lungs, throat.
- Congestive heart failure is also one amongst the causes.
- Cough is the symptom that usually indicates a respiratory infection or irritation of throat, lungs or air passages.
- Cough can be wet (productive) or dry (nonproductive).
- Slippery elm – 1tbsp bark powder twice a day. Mix with cereal, soy milk or yoghurt.
- Marshmallow – As a tea, 1 cup up to 3 times a day as needed. Use 2tsp dried herb per cup of hot water. It can also be blended with slippery elm.
- Licorice – 45drops tincture or as a tea, 1 cup 3 times a day. Add tincture to water or to herbal cough teas. Instead steep 1tsp dried herb in hot water with slippery elm or marshmallow. It can raise blood pressure when using for longer period of time so eat a lot of vegetables and fruits that contain potassium.
- Horehound – As a tea, 1cup up to 3 times a day as needed. Use 1 or 2tsp dried herb per cup of hot water. It can also be taken alone.
- Drink plenty of water and juices to help thin the mucus.
- Use a humidifier to moisten the air.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid contact with irritating fumes or vapours.