In our digestive tract it is found out that there are many a hundred different types of species of bacteria. But the bacteria which are most beneficial to us are only a few namely lactobacilli, acidophilus and bifidus. These bacteria help in providing a healthy environment in our intestinal tract. These bacteria synthesize certain natural antibiotics that kill dangerous micro-organisms in our intestine thus keeping it healthy.
Lactase Deficiency (Disaccharidase Deficiency)
Magical Benefits of Yogurt
Commercially available acidophilus
Various food stuffs that actually help in the growth and development of lactobacillus bacteria in our intestine are green vegetables, slippery elm powder, miso, sauerkraut, Jerusalem artichokes, and various kinds of milk products such as yogurt and whey powder. Yogurt is the main source of acidophilus. Yogurt is used as an elixir in the case of folk medicine for more than thousand years. However it is very difficult to determine the amount of acidophilus that yogurt contains. While taking supplements it must be seen that its therapeutic form must contain at least 1 billion live organisms in each pill. If the amount of live organisms in a pill is lesser than the amount mentioned, it may not be potent enough to have the benefit. Acidophilus is sold in combination with bifidus or fructo-oligosaccharides in the market recently.
Health Benefits of Acidophilus
- Acidophilus helps in creating a healthy environment in our gastrointestinal tract and in vagina in case of women.
Acidophilus helps in fighting against various digestive disorders and vaginal yeast infections.
- Acidophilus also contains cancer fighting agents thus helping in prevention of cancer.
- Acidophilus helps in lowering the serum cholesterol level.
- Acidophilus helps in the synthesis of various vitamins like vitamin B12 and K and also thiamine and folic acid in our intestine.
- Acidophilus creates an inhospitable environment for various harmful bacteria thus damaging them.
- Acidophilus also helps in alleviating the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease.
Researches say that acidophilus when inserted in the form of suppository or douche into the vagina it helps in prevention of yeast infections.
- Treatment of chronic gastrointestinal disorders.
- Treatment of bowel syndrome and bloating.
- Treatment of vaginal yeast infections.
Various Forms of Acidophilus in Market
Powder form of acidophilus
Dosage & Side effects
For Making Vaginal Douche
- Mix 2 tsp of acidophilus powder in 1 litre of warm water.
- Use twice a day for up to 10 days to restore normal growth of bacteria.
For Intestinal Health
- Mix acidophilus powder in water and drink.
- If using capsule then take one or two capsules three times a day.
- Douche only for preventing yeast infections.
- Orally acidophilus can be taken 30-60 minutes before eating.
- Acidophilus and antibiotics should not be taken at the same time; it is advisable to take acidophilus after the dosage of antibiotics gets over.
- Acidophilus may cause diarrhea.
- Prolonged douching may irritate the vagina; it can be prevented by reducing the dosage.
Have You Heard?
The heat actually kills the acidophilus so it is seen that commercial yogurt manufacturers add certain active cultures after pasteurization to prevent the death of acidophilus.