Diabetes – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Diabetes mellitus is a condition that may be defined as the inability of the body to secrete insulin or improper usage of produced insulin. Insulin is the hormone that is responsible for the conversion of sugar, starch and other food substances into energy. People with diabetes have high blood glucose levels. Occurrence of diabetes has increased rapidly in this last two decades.
- In most of the cases it is hereditary.
- Obesity – For men If the waist hip ratio is above 0.95 chances of getting diabetes is more and for women it is 0.85. Persons with body mass. index (BMI)>25 are more prone to diabetes.
- High blood pressure levels.
- Women who give birth to child with large weight should be checked.
- Consumption of drugs that increase blood glucose levels. e.g. steroids, oral contraceptives etc.
- Frequent Urination
- Frequent thirst
- Unusual weight loss
- Having a continuous hungry feeling
- Excessive tiredness and fatigue
- Numbness in the extremities
- Burning sensation in feet
- Generalized itching
- Genital Itching
- Penile gets infected
- Wounds take long time to heal
- Early cataract development
- Visual disturbances
Diabetes is a condition and not disease. It is not possible to cure it completely but one can resist and keep down the blood sugar levels.
- Weight reduction by diet control, exercises and behavior modification.
- Consumption of low cholesterol diet.
- Avoid consumption of diabetogenic drugs such as steroids and painkillers.
- Go for regular medical checkups.
- Use jaggery instead of sugar.
- Practice yogasanas and do meditation which helps in stress management.