Home Treatment for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition where narrowing of spinal canal or vertebral foramen takes place. The narrowing usually develops over a long period of time. The narrowing causes irritation in spinal cord and in the nerve roots that come out from the spinal cord. In most of the cases conservative Nonsurgical treatment is done at the earlier stages and its very effective in relieving the pain.
The different forms of Nonoperative treatment
- Taking medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(NSAIDs) or acetaminophen to get pain relief. There are also medications such as gabapentin and pregabalin that have straight focus on Nerve pain
- Physical therapy is also effective for many patients. Physical therapy deals with teaching about the various sitting, standing and lifting movements that aggravates Stenosis and movements that helps to reduce the pain.
- Exercising: Aerobic exercises such as walking on treadmill or stationary bicycle riding should be done 5 times a week. Strength training exercises should be done 3 times a week to improve the strength of lower back and stomach muscles.
- Avoid activities that increases the symptoms of stenosis such as standing for long time or walking down the hills.
As spinal stenosis develops it increases the pain and causes numbness in legs. It increases the risk of losing stability and balance.
Tips to minimize these risks
- Be careful that you don’t fall due to any obstacles present on floor. Avoid using slippery shoes, walking too fast, walking under poor lighting.
- Reduce alcohol consumptions as it causes more drowsiness and dizziness.
- Take Medications only Doctor’s advise.
- Wear low-heeled shoes that fit you well.