Alzheimer’s disease – Causes and Cure
Alzheimer’s disease is a degenerative brain disorder that impairs the prominent functions of the human brain such as memory and other mental functioning. The initial onset of this disease is very slow and progressively this is highly dangerous disorder in which the patient suffers from short-term memory loss and they may even forget how to perform certain simple tasks daily and may find it difficult in making decisions of their own. Progressively it causes severe aftermath such as loss of speech and memory, loss of bladder and bowel control mechanisms and the temperament of the patient changes like excessive withdrawal. This disease affects about 9% of the people above the age of 60 and around 30% of people over 80.
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE CAUSES:
- Researches have not found out the exact reason that causes Alzheimer’s disease, however it is still said to be due to the loss of nerve cells in the brain, mainly in the areas of the brain that control memory and other sensory functions.
- Alzheimer’s disease is also characterized by a considerable amount of decline in the chemical compositions for memory and senses in the brain.
- Reduction in blood flow in the brain and also a series of small strokes may cause memory loss as well.
- This disease may also be hereditary and a family history can increase the risk of acquiring the disease.
- Various other factors that could cause Alzheimer’s disease include serious head injuries, cardiovascular problem and also the slow acting viruses.
- Recent researches have shown that aluminium (found in cooking vessels) may cause Alzheimer’s disease and it is advised not to use aluminium wherever possible.
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE SYMPTOMS:
- Memory loss.
- Disorientation resulting in getting lost in a very familiar place such as home.
- Personality changes due to anxiety, agitation, combativeness, poor judgment etc.
- Language impairment leading to rambling speech, thought repetition etc.,
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE TREATMENT SUPPLEMENTS:
- Ginkgo biloba – 2000mg twice a day (as dried leaf in capsule or tablet form). Standardised to contain at least 24% flavone glycosides.
- Antioxidants – 2000mg vitamin C, 500 IU vitamin E and mixed carotenoids providing 25 000 IU vitamin A activity a day. These may be sold in a single supplement. Take with food.
- Coenzyme Q10 – 20 to 30mg 3 times a day with food. Capsules may be more effective than tablets.
- Vitamin B complex – 1 pill, plus extra 50mg vitamin B6, a day with food. Choose a B-complex with 150mcg vitamin B12 and biotin, 400mcg folic acid and 100mg all other B vitamins.
- Evening primrose oil – 1000mg 3 times a day with food. Can substitute starflower oil.
- Gotu kola – 200mg extract or 400-500mg crude herb 3 times a day. Extract standardised to contain 10% asiaticosides. May reduce fatigue and depression and stimulate central nervous system.
- Siberian ginseng – 100-300mg 3 times a day. Standardised to contain at least 0.8% eleutherosides.
HAVE YOU HEARD?
Patient’s suffering from arthritis have low incidence of Alzheimer’s disease because they take in aspirin and other non-steroidal drugs to relieve joint pains. Researches are being carried out to in fact use those drugs to tackle Alzheimer’s disease.