Ageing is simply the process of growing old. Each and every part of the body is affected or undergoes changes due to ageing. Among the most common changes that occur due to ageing are hair turning bald or grey in some cases, bones becomes weak, human sensory and memory system declines, visibility diminishes and immune system becomes impaired.
How to Resist Ageing
15 Ways to live Long and Young
Ageing is caused mainly due to gradual death of cells.
- Cells in our human body divide into many a number of times and few eventually die and those are replaced by new cells.
- This is the normal process taking place in every human body.
- But due to ageing, this mechanism slows down and all the systems start to decline progressively.
- Though this deterioration is inevitable, many researches have found out that unstable oxygen molecules actually accelerate the ageing process and thus making us old a bit earlier than the actual time.
- Unstable oxygen molecules(free radicals) are produced during normal cell activity and so the damage caused due to it is unavoidable.
The various outside factors that causes ageing are cigarette smoke, excessive alcohol, pollution and exposure to radiations from X-rays or sun.
- Antioxidants that are obtained from food stuffs and body cells are the most powerful weapons that can disarm the free radicals.
- Slowing of cognitive processes: Difficulties in accessing memory and learning and remembering new people and events.
- Sensory decline: Delay in eye refocusing and impaired ability to hear high-pitched sounds.
- Weakened immune system: Increased susceptibility to colds, flu and other illness.
Decline in muscle and bone mass.
- Increased risk of developing heart disease and cancer.
SUPPLEMENTS TO RESIST AGEING:
Vitamin C – 1000mg vitamin C. Reduce vitamin C dose if diarrhoea develops.
- Vitamin E – 500 IU a day with food. Check with your doctor if taking anticoagulant drugs.
Green tea extract – 250mg twice a day. Standardised to contain at least 50% polyphenols.
- Folic acid / Vitamin B12 – 400mcg folic acid and 1000mcg vitamin B12 once a day. Take sublingual form for best absorption.
- Carnitine – 500mg L-carnitine twice a day. If using longer than 1 month, add mixed amino acids.
- Evening primrose oil – 1000mg 3 times a day with food. Can substitute starflower oil.
- Glucosamine – 500mg glucosamine sulphate twice a day. Take with food to minimize digestive upset. Increase to 3 times a day. If you have osteoarthritis.
- Ginkgo biloba – 1000mg twice a day (as dried leaf in capsule or tablet form). Standardised to contain at least 24% flavone glycosides.
- Protect against sun rays and UV rays falling in our body.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables every day.
HAVE YOU HEARD?
By the age of 75, researches have proved that the average person had 30% fewer cells in the body than he or she once had.